The Sooner state of Oklahoma will soon offer residents access to medical marijuana from a statewide initiative which passed in the summer of 2018. With this, the state has adopted a set of lenient rules to govern the new medical cannabis program. By lenient, referring to the limitless number of conditions a doctor can prescribe one of their patients to allow access to and treatment with medical marijuana. This is an exciting change of pace from other state cannabis programs which often heavily restrict who can access the medicine through a list of qualifying ailments. Furthermore, this should help thousands of patients from across the great state of Oklahoma to access the benefits of medical cannabis to treat any variety of ailments.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common types ailments in which cannabis helps treat or provide relief in one manner or another. With that in mind, make sure to consult with your local doctor first to see how medicinal cannabis can help you.
- Cancer – One of the biggest killers in the world today remains to be cancer. With this, medical marijuana can help those fighting the good fight against cancer through an increased appetite, decreased nausea, overall pain reduction, and many other side effects particular to this notorious disease. Some studies even suggest cannabis could help kill or stop the spreading of cancerous cells throughout the body.
- Glaucoma – Since cannabis has anti-inflammatory properties by nature, this is a very common ailment in which cannabis can help provide relief. The American National Institute for Health suggest that cannabis consumption can help with the intraocular pressure which many people with glaucoma suffer from. Furthermore, this disease affects 60 million people worldwide leading it to be a commonly cited ailment to be treated with cannabis.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder – Thousands of veterans and others suffering from PTSD have reported relief through cannabis consumption. This ailment, along with other health conditions medical marijuana can help with has led top health scientists to report the need to see marijuana as something other than what we’ve seen in the past.
- HIV/AIDS – A formerly life-devastating illness in the
90’s, the AIDS community can benefit greatly from cannabis consumption. There have been studies to suggest that AIDS patients who consume cannabis suffer from less neuropathic pain.
- Arthritis – The senior citizens of the world, ironically have the most to benefit from medical marijuana despite their lower levels of support for the cannabis cause compared to younger and healthier individuals. Arthritis is another disease which cannabis consumption can help with, at least to ease the discomfort experienced by arthritis patients.
- Chronic Pain – One of the most common ailments which can be treated with medical cannabis consumption is chronic pain. The many existing medical marijuana programs around the nation often see pain relief as the number one reason patients join the program. This trend may continue into the Oklahoma cannabis marketplace since the decisions of qualifying conditions
hasbeen widely left open to individuals physician.
- Crohn’s Disease – Crohn’s disease, a gastrointestinal disease is commonly treated with cannabis since one of the main side effects of this disease is upset stomachs. Digestive issues are an extremely common ailment to be treated with the consumption of medical cannabis.
- Epilepsy – One of the most heart-warming stories within the cannabis industry is of Charollett’s story. The young girl who suffered from hundreds of seizures a day before taking cannabis to treat her seizures and allow her to enjoy her childhood.
All and all, the Oklahoma medical marijuana program should be able to assist thousands of different ailments depending on the recommendations of physicians. One exciting aspect of the program is that doctors will have the liberty to decide if in their own professional medical opinion. Hopefully, this helps patients access the program of medical cannabis in responsible and secure ways, while at the same time not alienating someone whose personal doctor may think it’s a good idea for their health. As always, remember to consult with your local physician to see if medical marijuana is a good choice for you.